Friday 2 October 2015

World Ballet day and English National Ballet's dance for Parkinson's programme

I'm sure a few others will have watched some of the live stream on the BBC from World Ballet Day?   So great to be able to watch different companies around the World recording their rehearsal and performances.   I wanted to share with everyone this video about English National Ballet's work with people with Parkinson's disease and how they run the sessions.   I am interested in dance therapy, particularly the research that has been done into benefits of dance mentally and physically for people with degenerative diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.   Of course there is also the social benefits for people who might otherwise not have much physical contact, or be quite isolated.

I think the section of the video where one of the session leaders talks about how they run the sessions based on characters from the repertoire is interesting.   It makes sense that they are run as a ENB rehearsal so that participants work on embodiment of a character like professional dancers would.  I have previously looked  at Masters programmes in DMT at Dance Voice in Bristol.   It is definitely something I would like to be more involved with when I move back to England in the future.

http://bbc.in/1KXAWhh

1 comment:

  1. Hi Catherine,
    Wow what an inspirational programme ENB lead!! Thanks so much for posting - I always watch the live streams of the Royal Ballet company in class from facebook links on world ballet day but this is such a breath of fresh air and an incredible programme for people with degenerative diseases, to take part in.
    It's funny as I am too interested in dance therapy; it's something I looked into as I was embarking on the BAPP course. I feel from my negative experiences through dance training I now want to develop my skills into something positive dance related, if you know what I mean?! Anyway thanks for the post, it was a real eye opener.

    Katrina
    x

    ReplyDelete