Thursday 8 October 2015

Asking a question we DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO! Tuesday Skype session

I skyped this Tuesday with Sophie, Kayleigh, Adesola and Paula.  

We spoke about our main concerns and current areas of interest in the course and it emphasised for me the clarity that we can gain upon vocalising your thoughts.   I struggle sometimes to express myself clearly, and actually find it easier to write my thoughts down.  So it's good practice to speak to a group.  I really benefitted this week from hearing other peoples opinions.

My main focus was to discuss the concern that I have that I'm still unsure the area I want to base my inquiry on.   Time ticks away so quickly on the course I felt I should have my question planned out already.   What I took from the chat was that for now I don't need to worry I don't know what I'm going to answer.   Adesola made the point that through research we can then find the aspect of a topic that is personal to us.   For example, Sophie and Kayleigh and I spoke about web 2.0; how reading the theories behind connectivity and networking helped us gain insight into assessing our online 'profiles' and being an intelligent user. 

However the most significant question I took from the chat was that I have the opportunity in the course to ask a question I do not know the answer too, and the freedom to ask something that will benefit me in future in my career.   I think in every day life we ask questions assuming an answer, or just for confirmation that we are right. 

A genuine question truly seeks an answer, as a pseudo question expects no answer, cannot be answered, or has an answer that is already know to the person asking the question." P, Hanstein, (1999, p. 27) 
I have found many extracts from Penelope Hanstein's 'From Idea to Research Proposal Balancing the Systematic and Serendipitous. Researching Dance Evolving Modes of Inquiry' relevant and helpful in providing clarity on some theories around research.  I will use this literature as a resources throughout my enquiry.

 It is daunting setting about a task you don't know the end result of.   I am going to research further areas of dance in education with the knowledge that perhaps this inquiry may not become personal to me until the very end of module 3.  Or perhaps, the inquiry will continue for the rest of my career!  Either way I have faith that through actively learning and staying connected with other people in the course I decide on the best area for inquiry for me.



Bio:
Hanstein, Penelope (1999) From Idea to Research Proposal Balancing the Systematic and Serendipitous. Researching Dance Evolving Modes of Inquiry, Fraleigh, Sondra Horton and Hanstein, Penelope (eds) Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, pp 22-61.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment