Tuesday 29 September 2015

Transdisciplinary skills - we've all got them!

Just a short blog on a what I've been thinking about while reading through module one and the theories surrounding transdisciplinary 'knowledge'.   Gibbons 'Mode 2' or 'heterogenoeous' knowledge helped me understand what it means when knowledge is produced outside of just one discipline. 

He describes 'Mode 2' as:
  • Transdisciplinary
  • Diversity in learning sites
  • Generated in context of application
  • Reflexive

As a dance teacher, performer and (hopefully one day) choreographer this really relates to my work.  I trained as a dancer but I feel that now in fact that is just a small fraction of the knowledge I need in my job.    I've learnt how to teach in the job - the qualifications I have to teach really did not stand for a lot when it came down to engaging, inspiring and disciplining a group of students!  

Being reflexive... what does this really mean and how does it help us learn?    I think as we're all from arts backgrounds really our work never ends because it's our passion as well.  We are constantly self-critical.  I work independently so it is up to me to reflect on my practice and compare myself to others I aspire to. 

I also got thinking that now you have to be transdisciplinary to be successful.   There has to be an amount of knowledge, not just of the discipline to stay afloat in a competitive atmosphere.   We live in a time when self-promotion in the arts is essential.  Knowledge of other areas of the arts in expected to be current and exciting.  To teach your discipline you need all the other interpersonal and tacit skills, as well as practical skills such as academic ability and technological know-how.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/dance/what-to-see/Hussein-Chalayan-fashion-interview/

I saw this article about a fashion designer who is working with dancers for his next show and it made me think how that is the future of the arts and that it is really exciting when different disciplines work together.



 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine,

    You say that the qualifications you had don't stand for a lot when wanting to inspire a group of students. How do you think your techniques have changed over your time teaching? How did you discover what worked and what didn't?

    I can relate to this teaching drama. I haven't done any formal teacher training after drama school but I have learnt some techniques through experiences or from picking up on the ways my own tutors taught me.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, I did my ISTD teacher training but now teach different styles of dance as opposed to just Modern, and also run drama workshops. I have gained a lot of experience recently working alongside a more experienced teacher, but mainly I have just applied the principle of using the best bits of my own acting training and making it 'child friendly'. The most challenging part of teaching for me is maintaining discipline and also keeping the young children engaged. I really think that this is something that has to be learnt from experience. I feel I can now better adapt to the pace and mood of a class to keep them responsive. Within the ISTD training you spend very ittle time on practical skills in discipline so it was the most daunting aspect for me at first

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which apsects of teaching did you find most difficult when you first started teaching? do you think you would benefit from teacher training with a professional association (like LAMDA, RADA etc) ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine It is interesting you say that your qualifications don't stand for a lot in some aspects of teaching. I am currently evaluating my competencies and capabilities and have had similar thoughts. I find discussing my professional experiences with students engages them and often motivates them to do well in class as a lot of them aspire too perform in similar contexts. Have you tried this?. Although this technique helps with certain students i find it doesn't work with younger students who attend performing arts classes for fun rather than too develop skills needed for a career in the Arts. Similar too you I find it difficult to discipline students and could benefit greatly from training in behavioral techniques. My potential inquiry questions all link too the transition from Performer too Teacher. Are you aware of any skills you have learnt from your vocational training that have helped you progress as a teacher. What encouraged you too make the transition in the first place?
    Thanks laura

    ReplyDelete