Monday 13 April 2015

Part 3 The Networked Professsional - 3A My Current Networks



My current professional network consists of different types of circles;  virtual networks (online), close working relationships and more extended affiliation.  I use social media and virtual networks like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to stay in contact with people I've worked with and also to shop around for future opportunities.   Social media is invaluable as a performer as many of the contacts I have made through dancing professionally are not now people I would come into contact a lot with.  This is accentuated because so much work is offered abroad so I have to be online to keep in touch with people who have gone away with shows.  Also, the high competitiveness of performing and the lack of jobs means many roles are cast online.   Casting directors know they will get many responses within an hour of posting a job on Facebook for example, meaning up keeping my virtual network is a large part of my job.

One of the most important ideas that arose after reading Axelrod's research in 'The Evolution of Cooperation' (Axelrod, R) was that of cooperation, furthermore what others gain from having me in their network.   It is so interesting to me that cooperation was mathematically proven to have the best result when both parties cooperated up until the maximum benefit for both parties and to then defer.  So am I cooperative?   I think what I offer to colleagues and my friend network is experience on many different jobs (not all necessarily great ones!). I am also very relaxed with passing on contacts I have to other to help them out.  For me it is most important to keep people in my network rather than distance them.  This relates back to the idea of longevity of career, in my previous blogs on professionalism.   

How I would like to see my network progress is to build contact with experts in the fields and therefore build my network up in the hierarchy of the arts.  For example, there are a few people that I know of who run youth dance companies in my area.   A couple of which are really successful and have Arts Council Funding to produce touring works with their company.  As a less experienced dancer and teacher, I will look at what I can offer them in return for learning some of their expertise.  Running a successful dance company is an example of something that could only be taught by someone who has experience of doing it.  Also,  I have seen that there are a few blogs and online communities that offer expertise and experiences,  so my virtual network has expanded through this inquiry.   This echoes the idea of Connectivism and that 'knowledge is no longer acquired in a linear manner' (Stephenson, K in Connectivism: A learning theory for a digital age).   Strategically, I can only learn the logistics of launching a company from someone who has done it.   Furthermore, as performers our knowledge in the sense of changing ideas and resources for creativity is ever expanding.

On a practical level I have thought of ways of expanding my networks and therefore my resources to learning and also gaining employment.  Firstly,  I have researched some companies and dance schools that I believe to be successful.   All of which use their online tools to a greater extent than I am doing at the moment.   If I wish to expand my teaching and one day launch my own company or school I I need a website.   A professional blog  connected to this would also help to keep me connected with people I admire and also generate publicity.  More regular use of video sharing on Yotube for example would connect me to a wider community and allow for criticism from people outside my current network.

No comments:

Post a Comment