Thursday 23 April 2015

My thoughts on the downfalls of a connectivist era

Connectivism and affiliation, both important components for a networking professional.  However, in an era where so much of our professional networking is undertaken online, has the immediacy of talking directly with professionals taken a hit?  Has this change in learning affected my practice?

A concern arose when I was reading other BA PP bloggers posts on their top 5 forms of networking.  Nearly everyone listed the online tools as their most important sources.   I gave thought to professionals I know of that are experts at online networking and often create and sustain employment largely by the effort given in this area.   An example of this is my brother,  he is a software programmer.  He books work through LinkedIn and other sites he is on through his professional association more than he does through direct contact with employers.  This makes sense.  He works 100% of the time on a computer and so it is important he has a clear online profile to project his expertise within his networks. 

The difference between myself and my brother is that while I am at work I don't have the buffer between computer screen and human being.  I thought about how we are all getting used to being able to write, spell check and post our thoughts but how this is not reflected while I am at work.  I have to think in the moment and project exactly the teacher I want to be.   I thought about the BA PP and how although I can see the importance of connectivism in this time, it is a different type of learning from the immediacy of the teaching I do.   I researched the idea of connectivism against direct affiliation and found some interesting articles.  

The idea of non-verbal immediacy is significant as I am new teacher and looking for ways to keep students engaged.   I found this paper written about research into teachers non-verbal immediacy behaviours and the reflection of this on students' motivation to learn.
http://asian-efl-journal.com/PDF/Volume-12-Issue-4-Hsu.pdf

Also, another consideration and interesting read was this research into the challenges of a connectivist learning community (such as the BA PP).

http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/882/1689


 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine,

    I can relate to your point here. Because everything is so online I found at one point I was becoming very confined in who I would talk to about my work. I go into schools to deliver workshops or after school clubs which is all arranged by phone/email. I often felt quite isolated and unsure of what the school wanted from me. Now, since considering doing a PGCE after this course I have gained the confidence to speak to the staff at different schools. I can learn from their experience and also they can help me to understand the students better as they obviously work with them all week. I noticed an improvement in the behaviour and effort in the schools in which the children have seen a connection between myself and the other teachers. They take it more seriously.

    How are you finding Dubai? What are the attitudes towards the importance of the arts in education there?

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hi Catherine

    Thank you for this post. Lisa brought too my attention how I often use networks both online and offline too source my information and how it relates too connectivism. She also led me too question how I use these sources in terms of teaching too pass information on to my students. I clearly see the positives in 'connectivism' as I believe sharing my experiences as a professional performer motivates my students too work hard in order too achieve their goals. I also discussed with Lisa how web 2:0 sites such as YouTube are a great source of information. You have led me too question my naive and very positive view on this learning theory. I am now thinking of negative effects of connectivism. In careers such as performing and teaching, communication and interaction is essential. Are the growing uses of online networking sites hindering our ability too communicate and interact effectively. Will live theatre suffer if future generations are taught primarily by web 2:0? I worry whether a trip too the theatre will become too much of a chore when people can simply watch a Musical/play on sites such as YouTube. The ability to create believable relationships maybe much harder too achieve if professionals are used too interacting via a computer screen. In terms of teaching, Connectivism could lead too bullying unless carefully monitored by a teacher. Do you have any thoughts on how affiliation could improve your future networking? I agree it is an important part of networking, however, I believe I affiliate already (maybe too much) and struggle too see how this concept may help in the future.

    Thanks Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,

    You make a good point about confidence. Affiliation and seeking help from your network of colleagues does take a level of self-confidence. As I'm quite new in a role, I've felt I started to slip into pretending I was so competent I didn't need to ask my boss or colleagues or students for feedback. I've started to think actually, professionals will understand the importance of affiliation so I'm a lot more confident in asking for help.

    Laura, I thik this leads back to my thoughts on the negative side of being so used to web 2.0. It's a different type of confidence - being happy to portray yourself online as one thing and the confidence to be an approachable, inspiring teacher or performer in person. I think it hammers home the importance of the arts in education. Everything can be taught form a computer screen now - apart from the arts. I'm in Dubai at the moment and culturally they don't place performing arts I high regard (you cannot study performing arts at university here for example) but outside of school it is becoming increasingly popular (so I hear from colleagues and teachers that have lived here for years) So there is hope yet!

    Thanks for your comments

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good conversation using the theories in the real world and the digital virtual world, thanks all. Bw Paula

    ReplyDelete