Monday 16 November 2015

Professional Network Code of Conduct and Ethical considerations

I started by researching the code of professional standard and practice as outlined by the imperial society of teachers of dancing.  Although I don't teach ISTD here in Dubai I am a qualified teacher under their association, so I often use their framework as a guidline for my own syllabus.   There are a few rules outlined that made me question how I can ethically conduct my inquiry.

'Unless legally obliged to disclose, keep confidential information obtained in the course of professional work and never use the same for personal advantage'.  This sentence encompasses a very broad area.  If for example I comment on a students behaviour or learning for the benefit of this course I am in fact using this information for personal advantage.   This is somewhat of a grey area, for example I know ISTD teachers who often post videos of studnets on social media as promotional material for their school.   What are your views?  I personally steer clear of videos or pictures of child students online but do use material from adult classes with their consent.    In my inquiry I will gain knowledge from professional practitioners rather than going down the route of using students as case studies.

'Each student has an agreed written set of objectives which are assessed on a regular basis, both orally and in writing with a view to developing each student’s potential.'  I was surprised to see this as part of one of the guidelines.   I have never written a set of objectives for a student.   I guess this comes down to the fact that no school I have worked in has enforced it.   Perhaps this is due to time and management but also because the ISTD does not have the means to ensure it is adhered to.   I strongly agree that students respond to clear objectives and this rule reminds me more of an academic setting.   I think if all dance schools adopted this practice it would add credibility to the industry, for say parents who are unfamiliar with dance teaching.   It may be effective for children as they are used to written objectives in a classroom setting.  

On the other hand I disagree with this idea in my classes as I want studnets to develop creatively; creating their own dance repertoire and choreography and enjoying dance as an art not a series of motions to be learnt.  How can you define this as a series of objectives to be tick boxed?

In my workplace, the studio I choreograph and teach at, we are lacking a clear code of conduct.   I have experienced confrontation where a non-teacher wanted to post a promotional video of a class without consent.  Of course I made sure this didn't happen.   It made me think that although, as arts professionals we may fidn this common sense, not everyone is aware of it.  

As I live in Dubai, I researched the Law on posting media of someone else without their consent on the internet and was surprised at the findings.  The Federal Decree-Law no. (5) of 2012 states that to take, save or post a photo of any person without their consent could lead to deportation and heavy fines.


'Article 21 
Shall be punished by imprisonment of a period of at least six months and a fine not less than one hundred and fifty thousand dirhams and not in excess of five hundred thousand dirhams or either of these two penalties whoever uses a computer network or and electronic information system or any information technology means for the invasion of privacy of another person in other than the cases allowed by the law and by any of the following ways: 
1- Eavesdropping, interception, recording, transferring, transmitting or disclosure of conversations or communications, or audio or visual materials. 
2- Photographing others or creating, transferring, disclosing, copying or saving electronic photos. 
3- Publishing news, electronic photos or photographs, scenes, comments, statements or information even if true and correct'.  









Links:

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/tough-uae-social-media-law-could-see-expats-deported-for-saving-someones-photo

http://www.istd.org/site-search/?keywords=Code+of+Professional+Conduct+and+Practice+for+Teachers+of+Dance




No comments:

Post a Comment