Tuesday 15 March 2016

Catherine Hayward Improvisation Active Child





This is a 'structured' improvisation that I filmed in the studio this week.  I say structured as I knew and had chosen the music beforehand which inevitably meant that I had imagined how I might dance to it when listening to it beforehand.   After I finished improvising I wrote notes on all the factors that came into play while I was improvising.   I compared it to the categories that Nakano and Okada named as the areas of attention dancers noted on their reflection in improvisation.   I found that 'interaction with oneself' played a massive part.  I noted that portraying a mood or feeling was most important to me.  Factors such as the light, space and music affected this. 

I thought about how developing areas noted in their categories could improve my improvisation.  'Switching'... could I change the texture of the movement more and the rhythm to make it more dynamic rather than getting stuck at a certain pace.    'Continuation', Lisa Nelson speaks about how various choreographers approach time in their improvisation with dancers.   Could I push the boundaries of when is a natural start or finish... what happens if I improvise for longer than I would normally feel comfortable with?





3 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine,

    Nice to see some of your thoughts in action! Do you improvise a lot? Would say that you approached this improvisation differently after doing research for BAPP?

    It would be interesting to see how the piece develops after your reflective notes. Maybe a possible idea for your artefact - have you thought about what this might be yet?

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine,

    It is good to see how your inquiry work is already having an impact on your professional practices. At the stage I am currently working at in my inquiry and within my job placement, I am not able to do this. I really like how you are using the existing literature you reflect on your practices.

    I am finding in my observations that I am seeing many aspects of the literature emerge, particularly the key debates. Are you finding that any of your work so far contradicts the literature in any way?

    I like Lisa's ideas about the artefact too.

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catherine,
    I loved that improvisation piece! It's great seeing the immediate impact of your BAPP ideas reflected in your professional practice and vice versa. It'll also prove interesting, I presume, to analyse your insider-researcher position and experience in relation to the literature. How have you been getting on with it all?

    Best,
    Lara

    ReplyDelete