Thursday 19 February 2015

BA Professional Practice blog: first entry and first impressions


After 6 years of professional performing, 3 years of full-time dance training and all that came before that, I am taking the leap to continue my academic career with the BA in Professional Practice of the Arts.  Over the past 6 years I have worked on a variety of tours and shows.  I have been lucky enough to travel extensively and have danced in theme parks, circus style shows, cabaret and tours.  At present I am still auditioning and dancing as much as possible with local companies as well as teaching dance and drama workshops with children.  Through continuing my academic work I hope to broaden my prospective career and be able to move more into the teaching and production side of dance.

The course is designed for students to work largely autonomously, something that I will admit, filled me with apprehension as well as excitement. On one hand, I am keen to write about my experiences as a performer and the day to day of living a dancer's life.  In fact this has been something that I have been interested in starting for some time, before I embarked on the course.   What better way to share my thoughts on the industry, to document some of the great experiences I have had, things I've learnt, and to share photos/videos easily with anyone out there who's interested. 

Contrastingly, being 'left to my own devices' is intimidating! I feel that I am somewhat of a perfectionist - but how will I know what I'm doing is correct?  I think that is the whole point.  To learn from other's input and leave myself open to criticism and suggestions.  So please, comment away!  I look forward to what's to come on the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment